As we approach a holiday meant, in part, to help us remember all the things we have to be thankful for in life, I thought I’d compile my own record of gratitude. While certainly not a complete list, when I sit down today and think of the things for which I am grateful, here is what comes to mind.
- Two miraculous children.
- An incredible partner/husband/best friend.
- A kind-hearted, ever-loving and faithful dog.
- The joy and comfort of sisterhood.
- Family and friends who see me and love me and being able to love them back.
- Memories of adventures past and the anticipation of those to come.
- The privilege of pausing in stillness and quiet.
- Blue skies and the memory of a warm summer sun on my face.
- Laughter with friends and how frequently I get to enjoy it.
- Good books.
- Hopes and dreams and the fact that, sometimes, they come true.
- Remembering my mother with laughter, joy and tears.
I could, of course, continue this list almost without end as my life is full of privilege, beauty and more good things than it seems any one person should be blessed with. And I could also make a corresponding list of the ways in which I struggle despite all that good, as that is kind of the essence of being human, I think. But for now I’ll leave this list as it is and share a few photos of some of these things that bring meaning and richness to my life, as I wish you all a fulfilling season of gratitude and joy.